Monday, March 10, 2008

Skip to My Loo

So we thought we would try the potty training with Aedan and see how it goes. First I took him shopping to get his toilet seat and he had a choice between a Sesame Street seat and an All Star seat with handles...



He chose the All Star seat (hopefully daddy is proud that he chose baseball over his pal Elmo). He hasn't really shown a whole lot of interest in using it the way it is supposed to be used. We've only had it a couple days but I am proud to say he used it for the first time this morning. I thought about getting a picture taken but then I remembered that my parents took a picture of me when I was potty training and they have used that picture to tease me ever since. So I think I will pass on those type of pictures and let him have a little privacy (probably the only privacy he currently has). But happy to say, he did it without a bribe but he seemed pretty indifferent to the whole ordeal and it'll be a while before he gives up the diaper. Baby steps right?

He kind of got bored sitting there and so I whipped out a Sudoku book and let him color on it (he likes to look for certain numbers and write on top of them and he gets excited about the squares). It was pretty funny to see him with his first set of bathroom reading material. I remember my sister had one of those portable toilets that had a little crank on the back that when turned it would play a music box song called "How Dry I Am". We have a potty book that is extremely vague so I think it is worthless and I know there are videos out like Elmo potty training fun videos but I haven't got that desperate yet.

So do any of you have any potty training tips? He is only 20 months old so I am not going into this expecting much but as this is my first time training, I sure could use suggestions.

4 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see how this goes- I haven't even thought about potty training Taylor yet. Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a BRAVE soul Jackie! Connor was 3 years and 2 months before he finally got it & my Aiden hasn't shown any interest yet at 2 1/2 years. If you can potty train Aedan at 20 months, I will forever call you "Supermom" and worship the ground you walk on! When are you coming to visit??? We miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I don't mean to sound like a supermom but he has been telling me when he needs to go for a while now and so I figured we'd give it a try and see what comes out of it (not literally). I'm not going to get my hopes up though. My mom claims she had me trained at 9months but I think she just had me trained to go when she put me on the toilet. I'm sure the willingness came much later...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and my next visit to UT may not be for a while (another wedding in fall maybe?) - I was out there early Feb for my sister's wedding but I was tied down helping with wedding stuff that I really didn't get out to see friends. I miss you all too, although I am very glad that Chuck's wedding was so perfect. We will see though, maybe I'll have to do one more trip before I have to start paying for airfare for Aedan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, pop in again soon!