Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Let's Hear It For the Girls!

Last Saturday I helped throw a baby shower for a visiting teachee of mine and lucky her, she is expecting a girl! I've helped with several baby showers before but I think this is the first girl shower I've had a chance to really do much. I had a lot of fun decorating for a girl to say the least. The mom-to-be was in charge of putting together some quilts for a humanitarian project and needed to tie the quilts to finish them off so we sort of made it into a humanitarian-aid-quilting-baby-shower. Since the mom is not revealing the baby girl's name and I was in a banner making mood, I needed something cute to write out so I decided to make all the decor fit the theme "Cute As A Button". I also LOVE buttons. I don't know why but it was fun an inexpensive. So here are my shower idea with links for the how-tos. Games were kept to mostly conversation style as we were busy at the quilts. Meanwhile I'll throw up a few fun baby trivia that we used.

Diaper cake with ribbon, buttons, and some fake peonies

Q: How many average diapers will a child go through from birth to being potty trained?

A: 7,000 - 9,000 diapers

Q: How many years does it take a diaper to decompose?

A: Up to 500 years! Yikes!


Made a few arrangements of roses with button flowers and greens. Used as decoration and gave away as prizes.

Q: The average toddler will take how many steps a minute?

A: 176 steps. Obviously the pollsters haven't met Aedan...

Buttons everywhere!

Q: During pregnancy how much larger does a woman's uterus stretch?

A. 500 times it's normal size

The banner made with scrapbook paper, twine, and, you guessed it, buttons.

Q: How many is the most surviving children from a single birth?

A: 7 children. Umm, ouch?

Button, button, how many buttons? When I finished counting these out, without telling him the answer, I turned to Neal and had him guess. After turning it over a few times he said, "483" and you know what? He was right on! He has a weird talent for guesstimation.

Q: What color was used for girls in 1900's?
A: Blue. Pink was believed to be a strong color, so naturally people would dress their boys in it. Girls were dressed in blue because it was thought to be a delicate color.

We tied 3 quilts! Thanks to all those who provided supplies and helped finish them off!

Q: What is the average time it takes a man to change a diaper?
A: 1 minute 36 seconds (Men are faster at changing diapers than women. Men average 1 min 36 seconds to change a diaper while a woman takes 2 minutes 5 seconds.)

After many attempts to make some cake pops as featured on Bakerella, I must say that these just might be my last ones. I don't know, she made them look so good and I struggled to get them right. Good thing my former visiting teaching companion brought lots of yummy cheesecake to eat! I definitely preferred that over these pops.

Q: What is the word for pregnant in England?
A: stuffed. (Be careful if you are eating in an English home. If you say, "I'm stuffed", they will think you are pregnant!)

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing! What a cute baby shower :) I'm sure the mom-to-be LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute decorations and treats! I am so sad that I missed this. Wanna throw mine? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I'm with the previous commenter--wanna throw mine? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so cute. We were teasing about you at our table Jackie, about how you have a masters in Geology but in the right state could probably have three times Neal's earning potentially planning parties for those of us that are craft challenged! We would pay you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, pop in again soon!