Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Chicago in January

I’m a bit behind on a few posts but back in January we took a quick trip up to Chicago to meet up with my auntie D who was there for a business trip.  We arrived just in time for dinner and so we went out to the Weber Grill restaurant and loved it.

IMG_4580IMG_4589

We took her to the Field Museum because apparently I had a relative that used to work there back in the day and also there was an Aztec exhibit that peaked our interest.  The kid part of the museum was particularly entertaining. We also  drove by Wrigley Field because none of us had seen it.  Gotta check out the competition (ya that’s right, we are Cardinals fans here…)

IMG_4597IMG_4601

We had the crazy idea to take her with us to see Disney On Ice  Worlds of Fantasy mostly because it featured some of Aedan’s favorite Disney characters.  It was pretty fun because of all the kids there and Aedan seemed impressed with the cars but I think he secretly liked the Tinkerbell fairies the best…

IMG_4593IMG_4607

The next day we headed out early to try to catch a tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio and I myself could have spent more time there in Oak Park.  I’m not much into architecture but it was pretty amazing how many of his ideas just plain made sense to me – the flow from one area to another, the use of space, the openness and use of light (of course you can’t take pictures of all of this so you’ll just have to go see it for yourself).  I started reading The Wright 3 a while back but never finished it but I will definitely do so now – they even have a tour led by children in honor of this book and that would be fun to try!

IMG_4609IMG_4611

We had so much fun with my aunt D and wish we could do it all over again!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! Sounds and Looks like a blast. Cody would have LOVED the CARS part..but maybe enjoyed the fairies too. Makes me want to go....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip!! I really wonder how those cars iceskate. I love Frank Lloyd Wright. There is a synogogue not too far from where Bethany lives that was designed by him. It was supposed to look like a stylized mountain. I would love to see more of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were in my neighborhood! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun trip. I grew up in Chicago and actually taught high school in a neighborhood very close to Oak Park. I love that area. Yet, I still never did the whole Wright tour until Bil's mom and dad came to visit. I was so glad I did. It was fascinating. I'm with you with how much sense all his designs made. Bil and I especially liked the built in shelves and benches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, pop in again soon!