Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nightfall in the NICU

Last night I had a chance to hold my new nephew for the first time. Since he has been born, he has managed to maintain a healthy body temperature, gain some weight, get enough oxygen, and recently had his IVs removed. Hooray for the little guy!

Prior to entering the NICU I had to scrub my hands for 2 minutes straight and found that to be a lot longer hand washing than I imagined it would be. I also wore this lovely butter cream yellow cover... it was all worth it though. I got a few squeaks and smiles out of the little guy and that sure made my day!

So he has been moved to the more stable NICU group, which put him in the very back of the unit and when we walked to visit him we passed all of the little babies who were there for one reason or another. I don't know how those doctors/nurses do it because every little whimper or tiny cry I heard got my heart pounding and I just wanted to go pick up the little ones and snuggle them. There were some there that had been there over a months time and I don't know how I would handle that if it were my child. The family has truly been blessed with the progress he has made over the last week and we are all anxious to get him home this week!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Samuel is doing better! He is adorable. And wow, buttercream yellow is REALLY your color, Jackie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is adorable! You are so close, you should come on down for a visit before you head back home. We have never met Aedan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I even mapquested it, Gaffney is less than five hours away!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so cute & sweet! Glad he's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh look how tiny and sweet! Glad he's doing good. How fun that you got to hold such a teeny tiny baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is very cute! What is his name? Congratulations to Dale and Loranna!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, pop in again soon!