Monday, April 21, 2008

To blog or not to blog

My editor-in-chief, aka Neal, said I should write a post about this so don't blame me...

I don't know about everybody else, but blogging is kind of like keeping a really cool journal for me. I should have started out by saying I am not a journal keeper. The last time I was at my parents house I found my long lost high school yearbooks and also an old journal I kept for a brief time. Maybe it is just me but I find it pretty sickening to read some of the stupid things I jotted down and what others have written in my yearbook. I mean really, who wants to read about my trip to the mall or how so-and-so wishes me to "stay cool" and "have a fun summer". It was like I had a period of vagueness in my life with very little substance to show for.

I've loved scrapbooking because it was more of a visual journal for me but I am finding that it is one of those hobbies that goes on and on and no matter how hard I work, there will always be more pictures piled up for another volume or two. I could use just a little bit more sense of accomplishment in my life as cleaning house, cooking, scrubbing toilets, etc., also seems to be another one of those "hobbies" that doesn't seem to have an end in sight.

So I will be the first to admit, I've been blogging for selfish reasons - and here you thought all of this was for you. It is "me" time now. I want to make a blog book to keep in place of a journal. If you didn't know before, there are online services available that will upload your blog site and make a book out of your blogs plus photos and you can edit the book to your liking, then they print it (hard or paperback) and mail it to you and you can then place it on your coffee table (or hot cocoa table for us LDS folks) or tuck it away for safe keeping.

With this idea in mind, it has really got me thinking of what I want to have in my blog. So far this book will be a photo/journal/cookbook/weird-facts-about-us-and-stuff kind of book. It has also been my chance to still do a little bit of digital scrapbooking which is free and without the hazardous risks of scissors (Aedan calls these "dangers") and glue dots.

It has been fun for me so far, maybe occasionally fun for you. We will see, come Christmas-time when we present our blog book to ourselves, if it was all worth it.

And for three monthly installments of $13.99 you could find out if it was worth it too.

I'm joking. I'm not making one for you.

2 comments:

  1. Must teach me how to make a cool blog layout like yours! You rock! I'd heard about making a blog into a book and think it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie,

    I second the You rock comment. She has taught me all I know about blog layouts. Thank you for all of the help. I look forward to seeing your amazing new book :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, pop in again soon!